Data Security & Privacy has become an important need of today’s digital world where everyone is turning social. Activities like having accounts, sharing ideas, posting images on a variety of social media sites are in trend nowadays. But, the AVG Tech Support experts suggest ‘Not to forget the dangers that are hiding behind the enjoyment’. Why do the professionals offer this type of advice, is there really any threat that can harm us when we are on social media sites, how can we stay safe? Just like me, a number of such questions might be striking your mind. So, let’s go below and get the answers for the same.
Why Do the Experts Recommend to Be Careful?
The knowledgeable AVG Technical Support experts suggest using the social media sites with care because of the cybersecurity threats. Due to the heavy traffic on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other such sites, the cybercriminals prefer targeting these platforms. Infecting these sites with millions of infections, the hackers make attempts to execute cyber-attacks such as identity theft where the threats will steal and transfer your private information. Accessing your details, the attackers can make you:
- Face financial losses as having access to your credit card details, the attackers can shop on your behalf
- Encounter frustration because of the police case against you. Undoubtedly, you are not the one who has committed the crime but the ID used was yours.
- Front Annoyance due to the unexpected and embarrassing posts and comments on your social accounts
Hope! Like no one, you also don’t want to come across such circumstances. If yes, go with the below information.
How to Stay Safe on Social Media Sites?
Tips by AVG Antivirus Support that can keep your private data secure on social platforms are as follows:
- Be familiar with your needs and privacy settings: If being on social media sites is just a tactic to stay in touch with your relatives and friends, then don’t go for so wide-open settings. However, if want to use these platforms for business or work purposes, focus on using two accounts:
- Public Business Account
- Private Individual Account
- Avoid Interacting with Unknown Sources: A simple appearing friend request can be a trap build by the cybercriminals in order to catch you. Hence, develop a habit of ignoring and not accepting the friend & follow requests from the unknown sources.
- Evade Being Much Social: Prevent posting the comments and images that reveal your regular routines and location. For example – posting your after-exercise images every day can help the attackers find when you’ll be out for your fitness classes. Prefer sharing the info in direct mode instead of this public medium.
- Be cautious about the funny and entertaining quizzes/ contests social media sites offer: Cases like people start with just a quiz but provide their personal details in the next step as they have reached to the unsecured websites and could not go back have become common on social sites. Hence, be careful and don’t ever try to play the quizzes such as:
- Test your IQ,
- Find out the type of your personality, etc.
- Use passwords: Keep your devices and accounts locked with the passwords that prevent the attackers or thieves who have stolen them from accessing the data stored inside. The passwords you use must be:
Conclusion: Identity thieves are turning more sophisticated, hence, keep your private details safe. For more safety tips to add to your cyber security, have a discussion with the certified AVG Customer Support professionals.
Read more Tips at: – https://goo.gl/4mmHi2